Above, my 33rd week....

Below, the stick that told me I would be a mother. :)































the day my life changed forever...

the day my life changed forever...
March 23rd 2010

Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Optical Shcmoptical...


One morning when I was 20 I woke up with the worst headache of my life. Seven days later, when it had not subsided, I went to the doctor and they diagnosed me with optic neuritis (an enflamation of the optic nerve in my left eye.) I then went to a neurologist (brain doctor) to make sure that this was all that was wrong. After having an MRI and receiving clear results (no cancer!) I was relieved and so grateful. Part of optic neuritis means you go blind for a 3-6 months so gradually, my left eye lost its sight over the course of a few weeks. Thankfully, I was referred to a very wise herbalist who gave me (sounds crazy) ancient chinese herbs and I am a firm believer they work because my eyesight was fully recovered within a week. All this to say, it was quite the ordeal living for a month without vision in one eye, driving, dealing with depth perception, etc.

So today, I am in the middle of my 15th week of pregnancy and the doctor has told me it would be wise to get my eyes checked with this history of visual imparement. I agree, anything for the baby. So I unenthusiastically make a visit to the eye doctor where they dialate and numb my eyes and do a series of tests to make sure the optic nerve has not worsened. If you have ever had your eyes dialated, you know it's not the most fun. Here's a visual for your enjoyment...

No comments:

Post a Comment